Monday, August 26, 2013

Amaretto Crumble - Storm in a teacup



Amaretto is a sweet, almond-flavoured, Italian liqueur. It is made from a base of apricot pits or almonds, sometimes both (wikipedia) *It is amazing in cakes!

Storm in a teacup needs no real introduction. 
It has been hugely popular in melbourne since its inception and draws a loyal and a curious crown in equal measures.  On the day of our visit the bar was packed and the communal table was occupied by two women reading books opposite each other – not talking. Amazing. I dont know why i found this so amusing but it did distract me from the wait for my muffin.
OK, so the staff clearly called this a cake but according to Baking 911 this may just be due to the method used in baking as it certainly ticks off all of the other muffin characteristics.  
In addition it was clearly muffin like in appearance opposed to the other cakes in the cabinet which were served in slices. 
So this MUFFIN:
An old but great trick to distinguish your muffin from the crowd – go with a crumble topping!  Im a sucker for it and SIATC do it well.  Not sure how they didnt manage to burn the surface but the crumble was crispy without any signs of browning.  The muffin body itself was also cooked to perfection and contained generous amounts and sizeable chunks of pear -  5/5 on the fruit to flavour ratio!

I must confess I had to google amaretto – * hence the wiki quote above which I may have added to. 
I had heard the name but could not recall the specifics.  
One of the staff was happy to inform us that they made a variety of winter amaretto cakes in addition to the pear there is also a rhubarb variety that is thrown in throughout winter.  I should have asked about the summer version but will plan a trip back to find out!
As a perfect accompaniment the teas were beautifully and individually presented in their own unique glasses and serving tools.
Service was fantastic and staff had fabulous product knowledge!  It was also a bonus that we got to see them cook the goodies right in front of us! I recommend a bench/bar seat!  
So they also sell food – as in meals which I am yet to try.  Actually I imagine I never will as I will always be wooed by the cakes upon entry!
Overall scrore of 4.9 on the NBM  muffin scale. 
Mainly due to promoting it as a cake not the muffin that it is!
You can samlpe these muffins at:
  48A Smith Street
  Collingwood, Vic. 3066
But be quick – I dont think anything that good will last long!


0 comments:

Post a Comment